Friday, February 5, 2010

Second day - Toledo (and some more Madrid)

Finally – some sleep!

But then it was over. Just like that! only difference - i woke up in Madrid and not in Tel-Aviv.

So I decided to travel today to Toledo. A very nice city, sacred to the three religions – and not too far from Madrid.

I got to the station 8 minutes before the train leaves – and guess what, they don’t sell tickets 10 minutes before departure. This gave me an hour and a half – which I decided to spend on some culture.

Reina Sofia Museum is just across the street from the train station – so this is my selected destination.

In the museum I understood I could tell which one is Picasso and which one is Miro. But I guess that is it.

So 1.5 hours are enough to see lots of art and even understand some of it (can you really understand art??)!





And then – Toledo.

I was asked to say hi to Avi, but I didn’t see him around. So if any of you does – say hi.

Toledo is a nice small town, about 1km on 1km (or so they said) with many slopes. The city is surrounded by walls and by the Tajo river and full of small alleys. It is full of attractions, like many museums or the house and tomb of 'El Greko' (the greek) – a famous (greek? Spanish?) painter who used to live in Toledo, it also has great view and two synagogues.

I do not remember when the last time I visited a synagogue was, not to mention two of them – especially ones which charge money for entrance!!!

Well, actually both are types of museums nowadays, so maybe they have the right for that. In one of them I got a discount after showing my TLV university student card(don’t ask!) in the second there is a fixed price with no discounts. No even for poor Israeli students…

(Toledo at night - from outside the walls)

In the evening, back to Madrid, where I decided to go and drink (once again) the best Mojito in town. It cost me 7 Euros (!!!) but worth every cent of it!

After that, it was time to go and get myself a ticket for the 'Arctic Monkeys' concert tomorrow. Which I did. So monkeys, wait for me!!

Later on, it was time for some tapas. Found myself an excellent place (been there before), where they projected the basketball game between Macabbi Tel-Aviv & Real Madrid.

I believe I was the only Macabbi fan there!

14 seconds before the end of the game, they changed the channel…. Didn't let me see how it ended (though it wasn’t hard to guess then –Macabbi had 7 points lead). I guess they don't like losing.

Seems like my Spanish is getting better, but I know I still have some time to improve it.

And again, it is quite late for me, so I am going to sleep.

Rio is closer than ever!

Two more days to go.

Good night…

No comments:

Post a Comment